Thursday, March 8, 2012

1-to-1 computer classrooms

I thought that this was a really interesting article.  I would definitely agree that a program like this can only be as effective as the teachers implementing it.  I think that is true of any program.  Nothing is going to be successful in the classroom if the teacher isn't wholeheartedly inolved in it and wants to see it succeed.  I think  this ideo of a 1-to-1 ratio of computers to students in the classroom could be a really good idea.  Like they talked about, one of the schools used the computers for difficult group projects. 
That is being very advanced in teaching strategies.  It is including technology in the classroom and encouraging working with peers.  There is a lot of value in that.  I can also see the downside of the computer ratio. It is a very costly idea and like was said in the article, is something that is extremely difficult to keep up with as times change.  How long will it be before laptops are obsolete and everyone has an Ipad or tablet?  Do we re-vamp the classrooms then to give each student an Ipad?  As much as I love the idea of each student getting to work on their own laptop and become more familiar with the technology culture that now surrounds them, I feel like it might be an idea that is both easier said than done and better in theory.  We can so easily fall into the trap that says that as long as we have technology, we are doing well.  If the technology isnt being used, than it serves no point and we might was well go back to the way that things used to be.  I think no matter what the new idea for technology-rich classrooms, the key to their success is the how involved the teachers are.  That puts a lot of pressure on us.  Do you think it is possible to make a seemingly unlikely program effective in your own classroom if the rest of the school doesn't do it well?

2 comments:

  1. I think that laptops are a good idea if the teachers are using them effectively. I liked your point that they are difficult to keep up with as times change. I feel like there is always going to be a new form of technology that comes out, and this makes the teachers job a lot harder deciding what to get and what to pass up. I think all technology is expensive and if schools can afford it the cost shouldn't hold them back. I believe if teachers do their job and use the technology to its full potential, the students are going to drastically benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you make a good point about not letting cost stand in the way if it is really worth it. Deciding what is really worth it is the issue. I think the most important thing to remember though is that we don't need technology to be effective. We can have great teachers that don't use technology at every turn. The most important thing is using what we have to help our students learn the best way they can.

      Delete